Re: Linux to MacOSX port effort.

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: Linux to MacOSX port effort.
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:59:26 +1000

About two months ago ALEX appeared  to write:
>If you need a Mac port co-ordinator, I could be the person.
>The steps we have to follow are:
>  1) compile the "right" gcc
>  2) compile all the needed software
>  3) COmpile Swarm under MacOxX/Darwin with XFree.
>  4) Try to substitute the X Routines with OsX routines.
>How about starting with point 1?
>and how about to insert all the patched sources on a web-site?
>Regards.

  1) seems to be thoroughly beaten, the cvs sources will compile almost
every time.  The resulting compiler works nicely with Project Builder.
Apple have just released a version (tag gcc3-1041) on the April 2002
Developer Tools as a beta of the next shipping compiler (Jaguar?).

  2) and 4)With some considerable assistance from Jim Ingham at Apple, I
have got the Aqua port of Tcl/Tk to compile (with gcc 3.1) in such a way
as it should be usable to compile BLT.  These are Frameworks with Project
Builder builds.
I think I now understand enough to get BLT2.4x to at least compile within
a matter of days.  Bugs are another matter.
Hopefully this should remove the need for the X-windows installation.

So what progress has been made by others out there on the needed libraries
and even compiling the Swarm libraries?

Bill Northcott