Re: [Swarm-Support] Packaging swarm for debian

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Packaging swarm for debian
Date: 21 Mar 2003 19:29:14 -0800

JS> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:25:51PM -0800, Alex Lancaster wrote:

[...]

>> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/swarm/packaging/debian/

JS> Thanks for the history pointers, much appreciated.  Unfortunately,
JS> hdf5 is still not in stable, but it is in testing. I will look
JS> into whether or not it may be planned for an RC release to stable.

Having Swarm depend on packages in "testing" is fine as far as I'm
concerned (Swarm's pretty much only "testing" ready itself).

The goal is to remove the need to package these third party packages,
such as blt and hdf5 ourselves as far as possible.

>> Once you've got them working (or even if decide to junk them and
>> start from scratch), please send us patches and we can update the
>> CVS versions, or better, once you've had a chance to play around
>> with Swarm and contribute a few patches, add yourself to Savannah
>> and I will add you to the project:
>>
>> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/swarm/

JS> I will definately analyze what was done in the past with the
JS> packages. However, I will probably end up making some significant
JS> modifications. I have added myself to the Savannah, but I'm not
JS> too concerned about being added to the project just yet. I
JS> wouldn't be too much use, I'm still looking things over and
JS> getting aquainted.

I added you to the Swarm project in any case, so I can assign bugs and
tasks to you.

I created a new "packaging" sub-project:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/pm/task.php?group_project_id=869&group_id=1837&func=browse

and a "Debian" task (I have also added Red Hat and Cygwin packaging
tasks), and assigned it to you... ;-)

http://savannah.nongnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=1933&group_id=1837&group_project_id=869

Feel free to keep it updated... ;-)

PS.  If there's anybody out there who'd like to maintain our
Windows/Cygwin package, we have an open task for that:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=1935&group_id=1837&group_project_id=869

[...]

>> Let me know if you need any logistical assistance/support in
>> building your package.

JS> Well, I've got quite a few problems at the moment. Most of them
JS> seem to be minor and I am solving. However, my biggest problem
JS> seems to be with gcc-3.2. It takes a giant dump every time I try
JS> to build. The compiler requests me to file a bug, I'm not going to
JS> do it though, because I'm assuming this is a known issue to you
JS> guys and a bug has been reported (correct me if I'm wrong
JS> here). The gcc-2.95 in stable seems to handle swarm OK. How about
JS> gcc-3.3, its not in unstable yet, but do you (or anybody) know if
JS> it will compile swarm?

Paul Johnson has been working with building the snapshots for Red Hat
8.0 and 8.1 with pretests of GCC 3.3, and has been running into some
trouble, you should consult the mailing list archives for this month
and last (Feb):

http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2003-March/013217.html

I think he had success with a GCC 3.3 snapshot from 2002-09-09, but
not with 2003-02-24.  I think he has been filing bugs against GCC for
Objective C, but it wouldn't hurt to check and file one if it hasn't
been filed.

(i.e. don't assume that any issue is known to us, as we don't have any
full-time developers right now... ;-))

Hopefully Paul will chime in and add suggestions..., Paul?

JS> BTW, I am working with what I have checked out from anon CVS
JS> (HEAD), is that OK, or do you want me to use a different tag.

The default CVS "HEAD" is what we are using for stable releases.

Alex