Re: [Swarm-Support] Packaging swarm for debian

From: Joseph Schlecht
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Packaging swarm for debian
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:14:22 -0600

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:25:51PM -0800, Alex Lancaster wrote:
[snip]
> We have old packaging files in CVS on our Savannah site for both swarm
> (and hdf5 which used not to be in stable Debian), which were last used
> for packaging Swarm 2.1.1 for Debian in 2000, you could use them as a
> starting point:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/swarm/packaging/debian/

Thanks for the history pointers, much appreciated.
Unfortunately, hdf5 is still not in stable, but it is in
testing. I will look into whether or not it may be planned for
an RC release to stable.

> Once you've got them working (or even if decide to junk them and start
> from scratch), please send us patches and we can update the CVS
> versions, or better, once you've had a chance to play around with
> Swarm and contribute a few patches, add yourself to Savannah and I
> will add you to the project:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/swarm/

I will definately analyze what was done in the past with the
packages. However, I will probably end up making some
significant modifications. I have added myself to the
Savannah, but I'm not too concerned about being added to the
project just yet. I wouldn't be too much use, I'm still
looking things over and getting aquainted.

> Just to re-iterate, we would *love* to have you package Swarm in
> "official" (or even "contrib") Debian as it would be one binary
> package for Swarm that would be updated to work with the distribution
> on a regular basis.

I am excited by your enthusiasm. I am on Spring Break from
school right now, so I have quite a bit of extra time to delve
into things. However, this is my last semester, so I might be
a little tied down towards the end of this month and April.
But don't worry, I'll come out of it.

> I use Debian from time to time (mostly I use Red Hat), and we have
> other Swarm developers who use Debian regularly, but none of us has
> time right now to maintain this port, so we would welcome your
> support!
>
> Let me know if you need any logistical assistance/support in building
> your package.

Well, I've got quite a few problems at the moment. Most of
them seem to be minor and I am solving. However, my biggest
problem seems to be with gcc-3.2. It takes a giant dump every
time I try to build. The compiler requests me to file a bug,
I'm not going to do it though, because I'm assuming this is a
known issue to you guys and a bug has been reported (correct me
if I'm wrong here). The gcc-2.95 in stable seems to handle swarm
OK. How about gcc-3.3, its not in unstable yet, but do you
(or anybody) know if it will compile swarm?

BTW, I am working with what I have checked out from anon CVS
(HEAD), is that OK, or do you want me to use a different tag.

> Regards,
>
> Alex

Joe