Re: [Swarm-Support] Packaging swarm for debian

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Packaging swarm for debian
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:39:48 -0600

Joseph Schlecht wrote:

Well, I've got quite a few problems at the moment. Most of
them seem to be minor and I am solving. However, my biggest
problem seems to be with gcc-3.2. It takes a giant dump every
time I try to build. The compiler requests me to file a bug,
I'm not going to do it though, because I'm assuming this is a
known issue to you guys and a bug has been reported (correct me
if I'm wrong here). The gcc-2.95 in stable seems to handle swarm OK. How about gcc-3.3, its not in unstable yet, but do you (or anybody) know if it will compile swarm?

BTW, I am working with what I have checked out from anon CVS
(HEAD), is that OK, or do you want me to use a different tag.

GCC-3.2 does not compile Swarm, it has some huge hairy problem with protocols and casting. They fixed the problems I reported in the snapshot dated 2002-09-09.

Lately I've gotten a newer snapshot and some of the problems have reappeared.

I made a shapshot of swarm "back when" here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/

look for this package.

swarm-2.1.141.20021019.tar.gz

and that one compiles cleanly with gcc-3.3 that has the METHOD_FUNCITONS patch:
  http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_gcc301_MethodFunction.patch

That patch does apply to 3.3-2002-09-09. If you don't apply that gcc patch, then to build swarm you need to undo the effect of this patch in Swarm:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus-interface.patch

That patch removes a ; from interface.el, and you need to put it back.

Since the day I made that snapshot, a bunch of my changes have gone into Swarm CVS, as have many changes needed for the MacOS port of Swarm. Since then, I have noticed some problems. One is that the build flag -Werror is gone, and so the build will keep going despite problems. I've been asking why that change was made, and I have not yet found out.

Regards,

Alex

Joe