Re: [Swarm-Support] IDEs- who is using what

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] IDEs- who is using what
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:40:42 +1000

Truth is, emacs _is_ and IDE. Along with the kitchen sink, it can do:

1) Language sensitive editing - eg C++ keyword highlighting, brace
   matching etc.

2) Compile (I have this bound to F1), which immediately opens your
   source files and places the cursor on the line where your compiler
   barfs

3) Debug mode - gdb runs in one window, and your source code is in the
   other window, cursor tracing the program flow.

What else could it do, but doesn't AFAIK?

4) Profiling: I use gprof, vprof

5) Static code analysis: I use doxygen (and web browser to view)

6) Parallel programming analysis (I just look at compiler log files)

And just as Paul Box wrote, I tend to keep an xterm open for those
sporadic commands - eg "make clean" to start a build from a known
state. One could do this in an emacs shell window, of course!