[Swarm-Support] Eclipse and javaswarm

From: Kyle Newton
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Eclipse and javaswarm
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 11:17:47 -0700

Hi all.

I've only recently bit the bullet and gone ahead to set up Swarm with Eclipse. After using Swarm 2.1 with Cygwin the last few summers I thought I'd give Swarm 2.2 a try.

I did follow the instructions for installing Swarm 2.2 with Eclipse on Windows, as found here: http://www.swarm.org/images/e/e7/How-to_set_up_%26_use_Eclipse_for_JavaSwarm.pdf
To note, I tried to set up Swarm 2.2 on my Kubuntu Linux box yesterday and didn't make much headway.

After configuring Eclipse to work with Swarm 2.2, and setting the Environmental Path (system variable) for SWARMHOME I tried running the Steves' collection StupidModels. Here is the error I was met with:

Exception caught: no javaswarm in java.library.path
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: createBegin
    at swarm.SwarmEnvironmentCImpl.createBegin(Native Method)
    at swarm.Globals.<clinit>(Globals.java:39)
    at stupidModel_1.StartStupidModel.main(StartStupidModel.java:23)

Which I can imagine has plagued the SWARM support group with no end of questions over the years. The closest thing I could find that relates to this problem was found here: http://www.swarm.org/pipermail/support/2003-May/013497.html
But unfortunately I could find no response to it. I do still have SWARM 2.1 configured through Cygwin and can run my two-year-old simulation through there. Obviously I want to shift everything from Cygwin to work in a (semi-friendly) IDE. I hope this is an easy fix. What might I do to get Eclipse to recognize the javaswarm command?

Thanks.

-Kyle Newton
 Research Assistant at the University of British Columbia - Okanagan