Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:24:51 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
So yes simulation is computationally expensive, and thus the appeal of a
$700 machine that is ten times faster than a PC (a Cell-based
Playstation 3).   It happens that the organization I work for is
deploying a Cell-based petaflop computer, so as you might imagine I'm
biased by that!

Sure.  But, support for a processor can more quickly be gained by using
the same technology of most people who want to use that processor.  And
my guess is that most people who want to use the Cell do NOT want to use
Swarm.  So, porting the current Swarm to the Cell will really just make
Swarm even more perverse and it won't increase the user base.
The PS3 is an interesting value. You can just use the PS3 as a 9 processor Linux machine. Check it out:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com

A better option would be to invest resources in a technology that others
will _help_ ensure runs on the Cell.  That way you're not doing all the
work yourself and you see a higher ROI.  The same argument applies to
porting Swarm to 64-bit architectures.  Why not use a technology that we
already _know_ is going to work there?
GCC compilers already work on the Cell. And yes, Objective C. Setting up the IPC is the problem.
I don't disagree that a reflective scheduler for both for simulation and
analysis could be useful, but let's face it: Few people aggressively use
the scheduling machinery that exists.  In some sense what you propose
seems more appropriate for a game programming setting.

Well, my (unsubstantiated) claim is that people don't use the scheduler
because they can't understand what they're creating.
This list provided many examples and explanations of how to do it and what it means. Given this, I conclude users don't do it because it isn't very useful for their purposes. They aren't sufficiently motivated by the value.