Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:07:58 +1000

On 07/04/2008, at 9:31 PM, Gary Polhill wrote:
Without wishing to put more pressure on Bill Northcott, I'm wondering what needs to be done to get Swarm working on Leopard. Basically I have got as far as Alessandro Perrone did in November 2007: Swarm compiles (I extracted the CVS version as at 6 April), my model compiles, but when I run it I get this error message:

"Version 0 doesn't match runtime protocol version 2"

Don't feel bad about pressuring me. You are not the only one with this problem. Any model containing a protocol will break.

I did have a go at a Leopard build but the X windows config stuff broke. Apple did some non-standard stuff when they upgraded the X11 in Leopard. I have reason to think this will be fixed in the imminent version 10.5.3 upgrade. So I decided to wait rather than add yet another patch for a temporary issue.

Marcus wrote
The first that needs to be done is to defeat this loader.    The trick
we've used before is a script in the toplevel of Swarm to wrap the
assembler.  What it does is rename the sections to go unnoticed by the
Apple loader (from __OBJC to __GNUOBJC) as they spew out from the
compiler.    Last night I enabled this again, assuming that for now
building Swarm will require a FSF compiler and the GNU runtime. So if
you do a checkout of the Swarm sources from CVS and put the latest
automake/autoconf/libtool in a single install tree, and in your path,
and then run `./autogen.sh', you should be good to go.

I did not know that wrapper ever got turned off.

Sorry to be dense, but does the FSF compiler not label the sections at all? Why should the Apple gcc 4.0.1 or 4.2 not work?

I will try to do a Leopard build, but I am off to Nepal for three weeks leaving on the 18th. So time is a bit short right now.

Bill