Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:40:51 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
Sorry to be dense, but does the FSF compiler not label the sections at all? Why should the Apple gcc 4.0.1 or 4.2 not work?
The -allow_execute_stack flag wasn't being accepted by the linker, at least in the way the compiler was inserting it into the link (from -fnested-functions). I did try the GCC 4.2 branch for LLVM and that didn't have that problem.

Btw, getting a LLVM compiler working would be a really neat trick because then we'd have link time optimization (LTO). I've seen 100% speed-ups on some codes using LTO. There's also a branch for LTO on the main GCC trunk without LLVM, but it's not currently usable. LLVM also means we'd have a byte code representation of models (e.g. like pure Java).
Marcus