Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:00:40 +0100

Marcus,

Thanks very much--I have now got my model working. There was a bit more to the
story, however:

1. $top_srcdir does work--yesterday I was confused, and pointed it to the
source code of my model, not the source code of Swarm (sorry about that :-).
(Just to be clear, for the benefit of anyone else doing this, it is the Swarm
source code directory, not the Swarm build directory, if you keep your build
and source separate when compiling Swarm...)
2. I needed to configure Swarm using --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib
--with-tk=/usr/local/lib --with-tclinclude=/usr/local/include
--with-tkinclude=/usr/local/include --with-x to stop Swarm using the built-in
tcl/tk libraries. If I didn't use the ones I compiled for myself in /usr/local,
the -B argument thing didn't solve the problem, even when hardcoded in and not
using $top_srcdir.

To summarise the build process, I did the following:

* Compile and install GNU sed-4.1.4, tcl-8.4.18, tk-8.4.18, BLT-2.4z, gcc-4.2.2
automake-1.10.1, autoconf-2.62, libtool-1.10.1 in /usr/local (with PATH set to
/usr/local/bin:$PATH) all using pretty much the default configurations
* Retrieve the CVS version of Swarm as at 9 April 2008
* Run ./autogen.sh
* In a separate build directory, configure Swarm as above, with additional
--prefix=/usr/local --without-hdf5dir --without-jdkdir --enable-onelib
* Compile and install Swarm
* Set $SWARMHOME to /usr/local and $top_srcdir to the location of the Swarm
source directory
* Compiled my model

So, I haven't tested a full installation of Swarm, I'm afraid...

Gary

Gary Polhill wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> The start of the compilation of src/defobj is given below. I see from the
> Makefile.common that the environment variable $top_srcdir is put into the -B
> argument by default.
That's a bug, top_srcdir doesn't mean anything at install time..   Try
putting in a hardcoded path to your source tree in OBJCFLAGS in
Makefile.common, then clean your object code and remake..

The build looks like it's ok.   You can try the same "otool -l" on the
libswarm.dylib in the `lib' of the install directory to confirm. You
should see "segname __GNUOBJC" if you grep for "GNU".

Please note that the views expressed in this e-mail are those of the
sender and do not necessarily represent the views of the Macaulay
Institute. This email and any attachments are confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy, disclose or rely on any information contained in this e-mail, and
we would ask you to contact the sender immediately and delete the email
from your system. Thank you.
Macaulay Institute and Associated Companies, Macaulay Drive,
Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, AB15 8QH.