Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm on Leopard
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:03:16 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
I thought a bit more about this, and on reflection, I think it best to rename it (asMac or asGNU) and keep it in $(SWARMHOME)/bin where it belongs as an executable.

Even if it was used by accident, it is hardly a big deal. All it can do is stop Objective-C protocols being prelinked with a small speed penalty.
The point is is that -B soAndSo says to gcc "go look in this directory for standard tools". The tools have fixed names, one of them is `ld', another is `as', etc. So if you call it `asGNU' with -B, it just won't work. I don't recall offhand what the directive is (or if there is one) to directly name the assembler path you want to use. That's what you'd have to do if you want to land an assembler script in $(SWARMHOME)/bin with some other name than `as'.