Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I

From: Joseph Masoud
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:19:24 +0000

 On 22/11/09 10:04, Chris Pugh wrote:
2009/11/21 Yousif Masoud<address@hidden>:

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Chris Pugh<address@hidden>  wrote:

2009/11/21 Yousif Masoud<address@hidden>
Hello,
Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I'm still having the same issue with
swftools 0.9.0 (I downloaded today and installed on a Debian x64 server):

pdf2swf -v gives:
pdf2swf - part of swftools 0.9.0

When I issue pdf2swf -I filename.pdf, I get:
NOTICE  Output filename not given. Writing to filename.swf

Don't use -o { stating an output swf filename ), and the program uses the
given input file name less the file extension by default.

May one ask what exactly it is, that incorrect about this behaviour?
How do you see this as a 'bug' ( with either a 32 or 64bit system )?

[JOOI]

Chris.

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm not using the -o flag.  I have tested that several times including
I was aware of that! ;o)

typing the command below directly into the command prompt.

The command I type is:
pdf2swf -I filename.pdf
and it produces:
NOTICE  Output filename not given. Writing to filename.swf
Which is perfectly understandable.  The command still acts as it
should, and the swf file is still created.  All you are getting is a
confirmation of what is happening.  I personally, would prefer this to
no warning at all.

If this is a real nuisance for you, then maybe the inclusion of a  -q
{ quiet } flag to supress the verbose comments that are being
generated, would be of benefit?  Either that, or send them into the
ether yourself.
This does not solve my "issue", I want the output to go to stdout. I use the exec() function of PHP and I'd like to capture the output and store it in an xml file. Here's the function:
public function getInfo($fileInstance)
    {
        // return information about the pdf file
        exec("pdf2swf -I $fileInstance",$data,$ret);

        if($ret) {
            // raise an CException;
            // place a new entry in error log
            return $data[$ret];
        } else {
// with the new behaviour, this just returns the <notice>, I want the information
            return $data;
        }
    }

With the new behaviour, $data will be the <notice> and not the information about the file [old behaviour default]. I guess I'll need to figure out another way of getting this information.
When I import the pdf2swf.c file from a swftools package (downloaded 4
months ago) and re-compile, I don't get the notice above anymore and the
output goes to stdout.
I'm still not sure quite why you are contaminating newer versions with
older code.  Anything could
happen, the worst scenario being a non-functional version of pdf2swf.

Agreed, but I did a diff between the files and I didn't see anything that would cause me any major issue. But I agree with the statement above. I do not endorse what I did above either [since this is my development environment, it's not mission critical or anything].
Apologies if I implied this was a bug, that was not my intention.
No apologies necessary.  However, I'm still not understanding *why*
you prefer the 'old behaviour', in preference
to the 'new behaviour'  ;o)
It allowed me to capture the output by default (see above).

Chris.
Thanks again for your help.  I very much appreciate it.