Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:20:05 +0000

2009/11/22 Joseph Masoud <address@hidden>:
> On 22 Nov 2009, at 20:34, Chris Pugh wrote:
>
>> Yousef,

>> Are you *sure* that is what you are actually typing?   Because,
>>
>>  pdf2swf -i filename.pdf
>>
>> and,
>>
>>  pdf2swf -I filename.pdf
>>
>> are two entirely different commands, producing entirely different outputs!
>>
>>  -I simply gives you the info.
>>
>>  -i gives you the info and also converts the file ( thus producing
>> the complaint about no output filename ).
>>
>> Just maybe using the upper and lower case 'i' didn't actually matter
>> with an older version of SWFTools?  I don't know,
>> as have not checked   But that, just could be the answer you are after. )
>>
>>> This does not solve my "issue", I want the output to go to stdout.  I use
>>> the exec() function of PHP and I'd like to capture the output and store
>>> it
>>> in an xml file.  Here's the function:
>>> public function getInfo($fileInstance)
>>>   {
>>>       // return information about the pdf file
>>>       exec("pdf2swf -I $fileInstance",$data,$ret);
>>>
>>>       if($ret) {
>>>           // raise an CException;
>>>           // place a new entry in error log
>>>           return $data[$ret];
>>>       } else {
>>>           // with the new behaviour, this just returns the <notice>, I
>>> want
>>> the information
>>>           return $data;
>>>       }
>>>   }
>>
>>> With the new behaviour, $data will be the <notice> and not the
>>> information
>>> about the file [old behaviour default].  I guess I'll need to figure out
>>> another way of getting this information.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier just to output the file directly?  As with,
>>
>>  pdf2swf -I filename.pdf > filename_info
>>
>> Note the difference should you happen to do,
>>
>>  pdf2swf -i filename.pdf > filename_info
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, very much appreciated.

>> Could be the letter case issue, as stated above.
>>
>>> Thanks again for your help.  I very much appreciate it.
>>
>> Hope the above was a better attempt! ;o)
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Chris.
>
> Hi Chris,
> I have tried typing the command many different times at different times of
> the day that is very unlikely for me to have messed up the case.  Something
> has changed in the pdf2swf.c file I'm downloading.

> This is isn't a major issue, I'm not sure why when I download exactly the
> same version of swftools (0.9.0), I'm getting two different behaviors when
> using pdf2swf -I [uppercase].  I have the version I downloaded four months
> ago so I'm not in any major problem.

In which case it must be specifically a quirk ( or slip up ) with the
older version of
swfc.  Does this older version make use of the two flags, -i and -I?
 As I said, I have
not tried the older version you have used.

Personally, I'd also probably go for output to a file rather than a
variable, as with

  pdfswf -I > data.xml

then read the resulting file.

Regards,