Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I

From: Joseph Masoud
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:08:45 +0000

On 22 Nov 2009, at 20:34, Chris Pugh wrote:

Yousef,

2009/11/22 Joseph Masoud <address@hidden>:

The command I type is:

pdf2swf -I filename.pdf

and it produces:
NOTICE  Output filename not given. Writing to filename.swf

Are you *sure* that is what you are actually typing?   Because,

  pdf2swf -i filename.pdf

and,

  pdf2swf -I filename.pdf

are two entirely different commands, producing entirely different outputs!

 -I simply gives you the info.

 -i gives you the info and also converts the file ( thus producing
the complaint about no output filename ).

Just maybe using the upper and lower case 'i' didn't actually matter
with an older version of SWFTools?  I don't know,
as have not checked But that, just could be the answer you are after. )

This does not solve my "issue", I want the output to go to stdout. I use the exec() function of PHP and I'd like to capture the output and store it
in an xml file.  Here's the function:
public function getInfo($fileInstance)
   {
       // return information about the pdf file
       exec("pdf2swf -I $fileInstance",$data,$ret);

       if($ret) {
           // raise an CException;
           // place a new entry in error log
           return $data[$ret];
       } else {
// with the new behaviour, this just returns the <notice>, I want
the information
           return $data;
       }
   }

With the new behaviour, $data will be the <notice> and not the information about the file [old behaviour default]. I guess I'll need to figure out
another way of getting this information.

Wouldn't it be easier just to output the file directly?  As with,

 pdf2swf -I filename.pdf > filename_info

Note the difference should you happen to do,

  pdf2swf -i filename.pdf > filename_info
Thanks for the suggestion, very much appreciated.

When I import the pdf2swf.c file from a swftools package (downloaded 4 months ago) and re-compile, I don't get the notice above anymore and the
output goes to stdout.

Could be the letter case issue, as stated above.

Thanks again for your help.  I very much appreciate it.

Hope the above was a better attempt! ;o)

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,
I have tried typing the command many different times at different times of the day that is very unlikely for me to have messed up the case. Something has changed in the pdf2swf.c file I'm downloading.

This is isn't a major issue, I'm not sure why when I download exactly the same version of swftools (0.9.0), I'm getting two different behaviors when using pdf2swf -I [uppercase]. I have the version I downloaded four months ago so I'm not in any major problem.

I am very grateful for your help.