Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf -I
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:34:13 +0000

Yousef,

2009/11/22 Joseph Masoud <address@hidden>:

>>> The command I type is:

>>> and it produces:
>>> NOTICE  Output filename not given. Writing to filename.swf

Are you *sure* that is what you are actually typing?   Because,

   pdf2swf -i filename.pdf

and,

   pdf2swf -I filename.pdf

are two entirely different commands, producing entirely different outputs!

  -I simply gives you the info.

  -i gives you the info and also converts the file ( thus producing
the complaint about no output filename ).

Just maybe using the upper and lower case 'i' didn't actually matter
with an older version of SWFTools?  I don't know,
as have not checked   But that, just could be the answer you are after. )

> This does not solve my "issue", I want the output to go to stdout.  I use
> the exec() function of PHP and I'd like to capture the output and store it
> in an xml file.  Here's the function:
> public function getInfo($fileInstance)
>    {
>        // return information about the pdf file
>        exec("pdf2swf -I $fileInstance",$data,$ret);
>
>        if($ret) {
>            // raise an CException;
>            // place a new entry in error log
>            return $data[$ret];
>        } else {
>            // with the new behaviour, this just returns the <notice>, I want
> the information
>            return $data;
>        }
>    }

> With the new behaviour, $data will be the <notice> and not the information
> about the file [old behaviour default].  I guess I'll need to figure out
> another way of getting this information.

Wouldn't it be easier just to output the file directly?  As with,

  pdf2swf -I filename.pdf > filename_info

Note the difference should you happen to do,

   pdf2swf -i filename.pdf > filename_info

>>> When I import the pdf2swf.c file from a swftools package (downloaded 4
>>> months ago) and re-compile, I don't get the notice above anymore and the
>>> output goes to stdout.

Could be the letter case issue, as stated above.

> Thanks again for your help.  I very much appreciate it.

Hope the above was a better attempt! ;o)

Regards,

Chris.