Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg

From: Gnomad
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:26:02 -0500

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Chris Pugh <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe reading this will help clarify matters for you?
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ReleaseUnderGPLAndNF
>
> [ NB in particular, the section ' I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered
> software in my proprietary system. Can I do this?', ]

Actually, I believe the following section provides a more direct
answer to the OP:

--- quote ---

Can I release a non-free program that's designed to load a GPL-covered plug-in?

It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. For instance, if
the program uses only simple fork and exec to invoke and communicate
with plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate programs, so the license
of the plug-in makes no requirements about the main program.

--- /quote ---

> That said, I've seen a fair number of programs released by a both
> organisations  and individuals that take large liberty with not only
> the GPL, but software released under it.  Only goes to show that there
> are those out there whose lack of conscience is in indirect proportion
> to their profit making ability!

Agreed.  If swf2jpeg represents a core component of your application,
you should either (voluntarily) release your app under the GPL (which
does not mean that you cannot still sell it!) or at the very least
donate a portion of your sales back to the swftools team.

-g.