Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:24:21 +0000

On 19 February 2010 16:10,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> The quote you is taken slightly out of context. Specifically this is an
> answer to a question which I have included below.
>

>>I would like to release a program I wrote under the GNU GPL,
>>but I would like to use the same code in non-free programs.
>

>>>To release a non-free program is always ethically tainted, but legally
>>>there is no obstacle to your doing this. If you are the copyright holder
>>>for the code, you can release it under various different non-exclusive
>>> licenses at various times.
>
> I think most people would agree that it is improper to sell something that
> they could get for free elsewhere is problematic.  Can one ethically sell
> sunshine?  This is a very narrow answer and assumes that free program and
> the non-free program are the same

While that may be true, i.,e. one's own conscience is the guide, the
GPL doesn't actually prevent you from selling something that you get
for free!

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

Maybe you wished to recover incidental expenses incurred in the
promotiion or supply of the software, say with server bandwidth,
hosting, media costs, printing, etc.

Incidentally, a lot of companies produce solar equipment, don't they?
 Would you in effect agree that they *are* thus reselling sunshine!
:o)

Regards,

Chris.