Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:24:58 +0000

On 19 February 2010 16:52, Gnomad <address@hidden> wrote:
> One of the reasons why so many people have difficulties understanding
> the GPL is the multiple definitions of the word "free."   More
> correctly, it is the difference between "free" and "freedom."  When
> you release only a binary program, even if you do not charge for it,
> no one else has the *freedom* to alter it for their own use.

Strictly speaking, that's not quite correct. Releasing a binary ( or
otherwise ) without access to the source code for same, simply means
that it is not covered by the terms of the GPL.  Alteration by someone
else just involves more effort in de-compiling or reverse engineering
it.  Unless the author states their terms use or misuse,  how is one
to know?

>  The goal of the GPL is *not* to restrict the ability of software developers
> to charge for their work, but rather to
> insure that source code to all derivative works is made available to others.

Agreed.

> If you wish to follow the *spirit* of the GPL, you will release the source
> code to your application which uses swftools, >or any other GPL licensed
> codebase.  This has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you
> derive income from the code which you have written!  In fact, you are
> *encouraged* to derive income from an application
> compiled the source code that you release.

Again agreed.

> However, I  will re-iterate that following the *letter* of the GPL, if you
> invoke whatever.EXE (where whatever.EXE is >built from unmodified GPL code)
> via fork/exec (which is to say system(), etc.) you are not bound by the GPL.

The term used is calling that GPL program from 'arms length'.  See the section,

    * I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary
system. Can I do this?*

here,

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL

You should still state that you are making use of the program, and at
least point to somewhere where the source code can be obtained, even
if you choose not to include that source with your own program.

> From a legal standpoint, your position is quite clear, as you state that you
> want to include the exact same binary   >  that is a portion of the swftools
> binary distribution.

As above, you must still state that you are making use of that
SWFTools binary, and point to where the source for it may be obtained.

> From an ethical standpoint, you should either release the source code to your
> application, and/or donate a portion > of revenue to the swftools team.
> Legally, you are not bound to either based on your description of usage.

Bearing in mind the above, if not releasing the application under the
GPL, then there is no reason to include the source for that part of
it, however as you say, from an ethical standpoint, it would be a good
thing to do.  What you get for 'free',

 you should ideally put back with interest.

Chris.