Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg

From: Gnomad
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:52:46 -0500

One of the reasons why so many people have difficulties understanding
the GPL is the multiple definitions of the word "free."   More
correctly, it is the difference between "free" and "freedom."  When
you release only a binary program, even if you do not charge for it,
no one else has the *freedom* to alter it for their own use.  The goal
of the GPL is *not* to restrict the ability of software developers to
charge for their work, but rather to insure that source code to all
derivative works is made available to others.

If you wish to follow the *spirit* of the GPL, you will release the
source code to your application which uses swftools, or any other GPL
licensed codebase.  This has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on
whether or not you derive income from the code which you have written!
 In fact, you are *encouraged* to derive income from an application
compiled the source code that you release.

However, I will re-iterate that following the *letter* of the GPL, if
you invoke whatever.EXE (where whatever.EXE is built from unmodified
GPL code) via fork/exec (which is to say system(), etc.) you are not
bound by the GPL.

>From a legal standpoint, your position is quite clear, as you state
that you want to include the exact same binary that is a portion of
the swftools binary distribution.

>From an ethical standpoint, you should either release the source code
to your application, and/or donate a portion of revenue to the
swftools team.  Legally, you are not bound to either based on your
description of usage.

-g.