Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Other Gettext issues in the General tab

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Other Gettext issues in the General tab
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:21:53 +0100

Am Mi, den 26.11.2003 schrieb Jean-Michel POURE um 21:02:
> Take the example of:
> "Size: 3145k".
>
> The French translation is :
> "Size : 3145 Ko" (notice the space before ":")
>
> Only a translator translating a full Gettext sentence is intelligent
> enough...
> In any circumstance, we need a "Size: %d k" string.

> Really, I have no idea. No need to build a table, it will not support
> RTL.

You can translate "Size:" with "Taille :" - as you have done.

Gnome also inverts the word order. So "Size: 4000 KByte" would be "Kbyte
4000 :Size" in Arabic.

I would suggest using a table with the various entities. "KByte" and
"MByte" would be more friendly to translators. Or would you know what a
single "kb" string could mean? And we also have got the place on the ui.