Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Other Gettext issues in the General tab

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Other Gettext issues in the General tab
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:02:34 +0100

Le Mercredi 26 Novembre 2003 17:36, Sebastian Heinlein a écrit :
> > Synaptics displays "Size: 3145k". It seems that the po only has the
> > string "Size:".
> > As a result, Synatics may be incompatible with RTL languages like Arabic.
> > Even in Asian languages, this may be a problem as ":" is rarely used. If
> > you stick something after ":", this may be a problem.
> This is no problem. GTK is a very intelligent toolkit.
> Here is a screenshot of an Arabic synaptic [without Arabic, since we got
> no translation :) ]
> http://drive.renates-welt.de/Screenshot.png

What is the link again? I guess Gnome must be pretty intelligent and RTL
compliant. Anyway, no machine is intelligent enough to stick words together.

Take the example of:
"Size: 3145k".

The French translation is :
"Size : 3145 Ko" (notice the space before ":")

Only a translator translating a full Gettext sentence is intelligent enough...
In any circumstance, we need a "Size: %d k" string.

Cheers, Jean-Michel