Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Albert
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:33:46 -0600

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 14:21, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op woensdag 14 januari 2004 09:25, schreef Panu Matilainen:
<snip>
> > "What the heck is apt?" If you have an end user using synaptic to
> > install packages [s]he might never have even heard of apt and will
> > be just confused. I'd suggest against these variants.

As the user whose question triggered this thread, I thought I would
offer some non-technical feedback.  (1)  A synaptic user who doesn't
know that synaptic is a GUI for get-apt is unlikely to understand
anything he is looking at anyway and (2) my personal preference is
"Non-apt package" or "Non-synaptic package."

I suspect that the typical user of SuSE started out with YAST for
package managment, as I did.  Apt/Synaptic only came to my attention
after installing from FTP and then reading SuSE mail lists.  So, from
my perspective, the bulk of my packages were installed automatically by
YAST and only a few, so far, have been installed automatically via
Synaptic.  To me a "manual" installation is one that does not involve
RPM package management at all, but rather compiling and installing
tarballs.

I know anything from a single user is highly anecdotal, but I thought I
would just throw my opinion into the mix.

<snip>
--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of
thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible,