Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Richard Bos
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:21:09 +0100

Op woensdag 14 januari 2004 09:25, schreef Panu Matilainen:
> > "Not apt administrated packages"
> > "Not apt tracked packages"
>
> "What the heck is apt?" If you have an end user using synaptic to install
> packages [s]he might never have even heard of apt and will be just
> confused. I'd suggest against these variants.
>
> > or indeed the term that is already used, being "local packages".
>
> How about "manually installed packages"?

Sounds good as well.  Although this is not always the real truth.  If I e.g.
install an experimental pkg using synaptic and after installation I remove
the component providing the pkg, it was not installed manually.  And from
that moment (removing the component) the pkg is "no longer registered in the
local pkg database".  Even that is not true as the pkg is registered in the
rpm database....

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless