Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Richard Bos
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:43:01 +0100

Op dinsdag 13 januari 2004 09:57, schreef Michael Vogt:
> Right now, everything that has no candiate version or a canidate
> version that is not downloadable is viewed as "obsolete" or "localy
> installed". I agree that the term is misleading. This can be changed
> easily. What about:

Hmm, I have comments on all of them.

>  "Not available"
I have it available (some where on my HD).

>  "Not available in repository",
You don't know.  I can be available in the repository, but the user might not
have selected the component that provides the pkg...

>  "Not downloadable"
See above.

>  "External packages"
External to my system?

>  "Non-apt packages".
Non apt.  They might be delivered by a component that the user did not select.

> Just some ideas how we could name it ...

I just dig(?) my own hole I think, now I should come with some better?
Let's try.  I think that the package is not registered or administrated in the
(local/system) apt database.  So the closed to this is your proposal about
Non-apt package, but with something added to add.

"Not apt administrated packages"
"Not apt tracked packages"
or indeed the term that is already used, being "local packages".

Is this something?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless