Re: [Texmacs-dev] Xcode project

From: Gubinelli Massimiliano
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Xcode project
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:38:51 +0100

On 16 nov. 09, at 13:10, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:34:58AM +0100, Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:
Try to run it in a clean checkout and after running

./configure --enable-qt

this should create a file misc/bundle/Base.xcconfig needed in
configuration.

That is what I did. The first error is

std_environment:135: 'as_std_environment' was not declared at this scope

Anyway the files in src/Style should not be compiled for the moment...

Ok. I will update the project accordingly.
I do not have problems in compiling.

Which version of Xcode do you have?

As an aside I would prefer the choice of the
graphical backend (QTTEXMACS, X11TEXMACS, AQUATEXMACS) not to be performed at the level of config.h but with a -D directive to the compiler. Can I commit a change at this effect? This would allow to have multiple targets (Qt,X11,Cocoa) in Xcode without the need to reconfigure.

If does not work tell me which kind of errors you experience.

I'm in the middle of a large rewriting of the graphical part of the Qt
port. To support shadow renderers properly
I'm forced to add a buffer pixmap which is updated by the TeXmacs code
and afterwards put on screen by the Qt code.

OK, I hope that the display penalty is not too large...

Qt has already a buffer to handle graphics, so we are duplicating the buffering which give a small penaly. I will wait the reimplementation to be finished before trying to measure its performance. Under X11 we can disable double-buffering so there will be no overall penalty. Under Mac and Windows this does not seems allowed nor I can peek in the buffer to have some custom handling of its pixels so we do not have really choice (unless we redesign the shadowing mechanism in TeXmacs). Cocoa allow to peek in the double-buffer so there is the possibility to write specific code to optimize the rendering under Mac if we feel the need.

This plus the decoupling of the event queue should render the port more
stable and more similar to the X11 one.

Is the new event queue handler sufficiently stable so that you can commit it.
Otherwise, please send me a patch and I will try the last version.

I prefer to wait until I finish all the changes. When I'm ready I will post a patch with the redesigned graphical handling. For the moment it draws just garbage on screen....

max

Best wishes, --Joris