Re: [Texmacs-dev] Chinese Localization Issues

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Chinese Localization Issues
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 17:00:49 +0200

Hi again,

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 03:54:48PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> OK, so we both have the LaTeX conversion issue and the internal typesetting
> issue.
> Please discuss the LaTeX conversion issue with Francois; he will take care of
> that.
> As to the CJK typesetting, I just SVN-committed various improvements:
>
>   - I now forbid linebreaks before ponctuation symbols.
>
>   - I added a special "CJK ponctuation space" after ponctuation symbols,
>     which is zero by default, but which is allowed to be reduced or extended
>     when justifying text.
>
> The result is quite pleasant to the eye, so please test it.
> I see a few remaining issues:
>
>   - Text does not really look justified when a line ends with a ponctuation
>     symbol, because CJK ponctuation symbols have the logical width of
>     a character, but a much smaller "ink width".  Any ideas about what
>     I should do about this problem?  Leave it as is, or try to somehow
>     work with the real widths of ponctuation symbols?
>
>   - No justification will take place yet if a line contains no ponctuation
>     symbols at all.  I plan to provide limited support for letter-based
>     stretching (also for European languages), but this is still on the list.

I implemented a new approach to CJK typesetting: regarding each individual
character as a separate word with a tiny optional spacing behind it,
and regarding ponctuation symbols as separate words with a larger optional
spacing behind it.  This point in view will consume a bit more memory for
large documents and it might sometimes be slightly slower too,
but it solves the issue of justifying (short) lines with no ponctuation
symbols on it.  So CJK typesetting should be high quality now.
The only remaining issue concerns ponctuation symbols at the end of lines.

Best wishes, --Joris