Re: [Texmacs-dev] Chinese Localization Issues

From: jiazhaoconga
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Chinese Localization Issues
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:18:00 +0800

>> I think the length unit is pt.
>
> This is usually much smaller than one character.
> What is the (LaTeX) length unit for the horizontal width of a character
> (and for the height of a character in cases where width and height
> do not coincide)?

If the document font size is 10pt, the width and height of a Chinese
character is 10 pt.

> What are your suggested substitutes for 'italic' and 'small caps'?
> I.e., is there some distinctive property about the 'look and feel' of
> a CJK font to make it suitable as an 'italic' or 'small caps' font?

http://ustcscgy.github.io/images/fonts.png
It's roman, italic, and bold above and "song", "kai", "hei" below.
So, font "kai" for italic and font "hei" for small caps.
Those fonts look like they have slightly different size, but they are
all in the same size
font box. The stroke is the main difference.

>  - Text does not really look justified when a line ends with a ponctuation
>    symbol, because CJK ponctuation symbols have the logical width of
>    a character, but a much smaller "ink width".  Any ideas about what
>    I should do about this problem?  Leave it as is, or try to somehow
>    work with the real widths of ponctuation symbols?

> The only remaining issue concerns ponctuation symbols at the end of lines.

What they originally do in LaTeX:
  - define a minus glue on each side of symbol for every punctuation.
When line break
    happens, cancel the right side of glue.

  - define kerning for pairs of punctuation symbols, when these two symbols are
    side by side, use kerning and cancel the glue between them.

And there are a lot of other rules. The punctuation problem is more complicated
than I originally thought:

English punctuation symbols provided by Chinese fonts are total disaster.

New problem, some punctuation symbols such as quote mark  can not input, but can
be pasted in. This problem also exists in 1.0.7.20.