Re: [Therion] Meeting in London?

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: [Therion] Meeting in London?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:40:23 +0000

On 2007-02-21 14:29 +0100, Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> > I understand that due to the special scrap structure and hierarchy of
> > Therion maps this might not be an easy task but I feel that it might
> > be doable by simply converting svg files (which can be easily
> > generated by almost all CAD software available) to some sort of
> > intermediate Therion format that could than be manually adjusted to
> > the personal needs.
>
> Well, I see solutions possible.
>
> 1. Create "File->Import" function in therion map editor, that will
> import vector drawing into map editor lines, points and area objects.
> I can imagine importing any text file (SVG or DXF). The only problem
> is, how to effectively organize this mess of lines and points after
> import.

My suggestion would be some way to draw an outline round an area and
say 'put all of this in one scrap'. That would not deal with
overlapping passages, but would provide a basic level of allocation
and grouping. It should probably also break lines in two at the edge of
such areas.

I imagine that drawings done in different packages by different people
have very different ways of representing things, and some objects will
be more complex than therion can represent (e.g. gradient fills?), so
the results from coreldraw may be qwuite different from illustrator.
But we have to start somewhere, so let's just try it.

I can probably get samples in coreldraw, and designer and illustrator
if you want to see what the structure of such files is like.

>  But there will be
> definitely also needed some interface to manage multiple objects at
> one time in xtherion (multi selection or something like that).

This would be useful in other contexts too. I often want to select
several lines and change their type or scrap. This is currently easier
using the text file than the editor.

> 2. Support importing of SVG or DXF directly into therion data
> structure using import command (with some filter, that will again
> assign correct options to therion objects). This solution will never
> produce perfect results, but may help...

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/

believed to be clean.