tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF in CQWW CW

From: Andy Summers
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF in CQWW CW
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:24:43 +0000

Hi Tom,

I too used tlf-1.1pre3 in CQWWCW, but mainly to just work some new countries on 10m.

I incorporated the 'official Fred hack', and it worked much better than pre2. Thanks Tom!

On the new bandmap, I notice that ctrl-g grabs all calls, including those you've worked. If your S&P rate is high enough you can get into a situation where a lot of ctrl-g presses are required to get to the spot you're after. I didn't use the Cluster, BTW.

On the one hand, it's useful to have worked calls in the bandmap so you know who you've just tuned through and don't wait to listen for the call. On the other hand, they get in the way of quickly grabbing spots. Hence my previous suggestion of CT style spot selection.

Traversing the bandmap spots is still inconsistent for me, as I explained earlier.

73 Andy, G4KNO.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Thomas Beierlein <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Graham,

Am Fri, 2 Dec 2011 09:43:00 -0500
schrieb "Collins, Graham" <address@hidden>:
> I too used tlf-1.1pre3 in the just past CQWW-CW. I did leave my
> building, setting up and initial test til the last minute but
> everything worked out just fine.

Very goo to hear :-). That is as it should be.

> I had no issues and the application works well with my operating
> style. My only issue is that the program thinks I am in zone 5 when
> in fact I am in zone 4. I couldn't remember how to fix it properly at
> the time so I just edit my exchange to be correct and carried.

I will try to look into that and document it somewhere.

> Still on my want list is to change the V2 Cabrillo header output to
> V3 and logging of actually frequency.

Right. That is on my todo list the next big point.

> I have identified where I need to make changes for the Cabrillo V2 vs
> V3 but I just haven't gotten around to making the changes.

Can you send me the list of changes off list and I will incorporate it
into the code.

> As to logging actual frequency, it is becoming more of a requirement
> from a number of  contest sponsors to log actual frequency rather
> just band.

The main hurdle to do so is the momentarily log file format which has
no place to record the frequency.

As sending logs in cabrillo format is more common now than the old
trlog format I think we can work araound that.

I will append the actual frequency from the rig to the end of the
logline (will be longer than 80 characters then) and use that in
cabrillo output whenever it is available.

A simple script should also be able to convert the log back to trlog
format then.

> Documentation is lagging behind. A good PDF document would be my
> choice. Perhaps I can help out in some way.

Indeed documentation is a very urgent problem. If you want to contribute
you are very welcome.

I have thoughed a bit about the problem before and I think we need a
good PDF document but also a man page and some web pages. Looking
around I found the asciidoc format which would us allow to write one
piece of document and easily convert it to pdf or web pages.

I did some experiments to prepare a new web site for tlf using asciidoc.
Have a look at tlf.github.com/index2.html. In the moment that is just a
starting point but we can extend it as we like.

You can look for the code of the above mentioned web pages at
github.com/Tlf/tlf.github.com.

73 for now,
       de Tom DL1JBE.

--