toutdoux-list

[ToutDoux-list] Re: toutdoux translations and translation projects (20/

From: Christian Rose
Subject: [ToutDoux-list] Re: toutdoux translations and translation projects (20/02/2003)
Date: 23 Mar 2003 23:42:28 +0100

ons 2003-03-19 klockan 17.57 skrev Mathieu Roy:
> > <quote>
> > > Important GNU projects should be in the GNU cvs anyway; there are many
> > > other development benefits of using the same cvs for software under
> > > the same project umbrella.
> >
> > There's no need to play word games here. If you don't think your
> > software is GNOME software (and hence don't want to use GNOME cvs) but
> > rather fits better in the wider GNU arena and on Savannah, just tell me
> > that, and that you hence want to use the Translation Project. I'm just
> > trying to list the translation project options here; there's no need to
> > feel offended. Just tell me what you want and which translation project
> > you'd like to use, so we know what we should do with the existing
> > translations and where we should direct translators in the future.
> > </quote>
> >
> > You said that important GNU projects should be in GNU cvs because it's
> > better to centralice all modules under the same umbrella.
>
> When I said that, I was copying the original Christian's message by
> replacing GNOME by GNU.
> This is not a "word games" or whatever.

A "word game" is exactly that - taking the statement of someone else and
just replacing words. In itself it is in no way at all a productive form
of discussion.

> > It's true
>
> And it's true in both cases (GNU and GNOME). That's my point.

And you're still missing my point. I could care less whether you really
consider Toutdoux a GNU application, a GNOME application, or both, or
nothing of the sort, or anything like those types of discussions. Please
do not make it such a type of discussion. That's not my intent, as I
already stated in my first mail.

What I really need to know is whether you are going to use GNOME cvs in
the future or whether you are not, and if not, if you are ok with using
the Translation Project instead. If you are moving to GNOME cvs using
the GNOME Translation Project is fine, if not, using the Translation
Project is better, and we should make sure Toutdoux gets imported in the
Translation Project instead. That's the needed decision.

> > , It's what we are doing with GNOME modules because this way we can
> > fix usability/i18n/integration problems easily and improve
> > GNOME. But if you think that the those improvements for toutdoux
> > will be better at GNU cvs, it's fine. No problem, just use your own
> > Translation project because we cannot handle it easily. We don't
> > want to be a savannah competitor we only want to improve
> > GNOME. Personally I really love savannah so please don't take this
> > issue as an attack.
>
> I have nothing against the fact that GNOME creates a development
> platform, as kde, debian, redhat done before. A contrario, I think
> it's a good idea.
>
> My message was just a clarification.

I see no clarification yet. Are you willing to use the Translation
Project or not?

Christian