viewmail-info

[VM] searching in mime encoded email

From: John Hein
Subject: [VM] searching in mime encoded email
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:18:39 -0700

It seems I'm wanting to get some of my vm wish list items
out in the open today...

M-s is a wonderful search tool for a vm folder, but it searches the
encoded mime (i.e., the gobbledy-gook) instead of the decoded mime.
Given the ever increasing [it seems to me] usage of base64 even for
plain text messages (particularly from certain mobile devices), I
wonder how hard it would be to update the search to decode mime as it
chugs along.  It's fairly rare that I need to search for a string in
encoded mime ;)

I guess one could also write a feature to resave a base64 encoded
attachment as some other encoding (hey, how about 7 bit ascii? instead
of base64-ified text/plain).  This would be an edited message, but
that might be a nice feature.

vm-isearch-presentation does help slightly with this, but only
searches the current message, of course.  If you want to search
through an entire folder, vm-isearch-presentation won't be of
assistance.

While we're at it, supporting search in virtual folders would be extra
cool.

There... two more wishlist items!
Or two and a half? (the half being the mime re-encode concept)
These may be listed somewhere already, but a quick glance at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/vm didn't find them.