viewmail-info

[VM] recoding mime parts (was: searching in mime encoded email)

From: John Hein
Subject: [VM] recoding mime parts (was: searching in mime encoded email)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:14:08 -0700

rlk wrote at 01:34 -0800 on Jan 19, 2012:
 > Sorry, my message was missing a critical phrase - I want the relevant parts
 > of
 > the message decoded before the messages are saved.  Right now I do this
 > several
 > times a day using a couple of crude keyboard macros, so I expect I can fully
 > automate this but perhaps this has already been done?

Yep, that was the the "half" wishlist item I mentiond in the OP.
Since I'm not the only one who wants it, I'll promote it to
full wishlist status.  It's nice to be able to use offline
search tools (grep [1]) on mail and base64 makes that hard.

I think we should mark the new saved message as 'edited' since it's
different than the original.  It will also be interesting when
"illegal" characters appear in the decoding.  We could only allow the
re-coding for text/ mime, but wrong mime type hints are known to
happen.  Maybe re-coding to quoted-printable?  Or refuse to recode
when non-printable characters show up, but that may be hard to do.

[1] Insert list of good non-plain-text search tools here.