viewmail-info

Re: [VM] searching in mime encoded email

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] searching in mime encoded email
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:51:15 +0000

address@hidden writes:

> Sorry, my message was missing a critical phrase - I want the relevant
> parts of the message decoded before the messages are saved.  Right now I
> do this several times a day using a couple of crude keyboard macros, so I
> expect I can fully automate this but perhaps this has already been done?

I see a function called vm-save-message-preview in vm-rfaddons.el.  Please
try it.

If you find any functions in the add-ons that you think should be integrated
into VM, please tell me and perhaps provide a good doc string and some text
to go into the info manual.  I will be happy to integrate them.

More generally, I am thinking that there is no reason why we can't have VM
folders stored in some other character set, other than US-ASCII, e.g.,
UTF-8.  Those folders won't be interoperable with other mail clients, but do
we care about that really?  That should be a big win for people that need to
use international character sets regularly.  MIME-decoded text can then be
stored directly into folders and all normal Emacs searching functions will
work.

This needs some thought and discussion, and it will need some amount of
careful reengineering effort.  The assumption about 7-bit US-ASCII is
probably pervasive in a lot of VM code.  So, it will need extensive testing,
and I would need people that are willing to participate in that.  There
could be possibility of corruption of mail folders.  They would need to back
up email carefully.  But, it could be a big win in the long run.

Cheers,
Uday