vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] thoughts

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] thoughts
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:50:08 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Terlegård <address@hidden> wrote:

> I knew you were going to say this  :-)
>
> 1. I might want to send the MA to a server I can't
> admin. Let's say I'm a
> network manager and monitors the network of an
> organisation. I could do all
> the monitoring with MAs, removing the need for
> root-privileges.
> 2. Sitting on a train, downloading bytecode (to the
> mobile phone) for a game
> and running it. I'm not sure if that is an MA, but
> could be.
> 3. I want some task done. I program a little MA and
> send it, then I go
> offline. The next day when I arriva at work the MA
> notices I come online and
> returns the results.
> 4. An MA can collect data from several servers
> (without going back home),
> filter out unnecessary information and compute the
> results. Only the results
> will go back to the sender and the network load
> decreases.

In what manner do these agent execute on the host
computer?  I can only see four possibilities.  They
run on a totaly unsecured OS like Win9x, they run in a
user shell, they run in a sandboxed VM deamon of some
type initiated by the machines root, or they are
virus, which gets us back to Windows again.

I can not imagine a properly secured machine that
would allow a MA to execute.

> Nopes, not at all. If all aspects of security is
> integrated into VRS, then
> it'd be very similar.

Well, as I've said before, privacy and security are
the prime directive.