web-hurd

Re: Started German website translation

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Started German website translation
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:37:24 +0100 (MET)

   I've started to translate the Hurd website to German.

Great!!!  I'll try to commit it ASAP (sighs, the list of things to add
is growing quite rapidly...).  Marcus, do you have any comments about
this? You are fluent in German I belive.

   As a first step, I translated whatsnew.html, which is the default
   page to come up when "hurd.gnu.org" is opened.

   Attached you find whatsnew.de.html as well as a patch for
   whatsnew.html (to add the link to the German page). I'm sorry I
   wasn't able to patch whatsnew.he.html because I don't know what
   "German" means in Hebrew :-)

No need to bother with pages that you don't understand; it is up to
the respective translator to update it accordingly.  Or maybe, just
add a English version of the link to it?  That way the translator will
know that such a page was added atleast...

   Please let me know if I may/should go on like this, or if I should
   do something in a different way.

It is perfect!

   And - although I guess this has been discussed before - did you
   ever consider a *simple* way of automatically including header and
   footer into each page, using a Makefile that does something like

Not really.  But I'll be that such a patch would be loved by us all.
I'm not totally familiar with CSS, but wouldn't this be possible if
that was used?  If not, a simple way to shove the header stuff into
the file, would be to add a magic string to each file, and then do a
simple search-and-replace.  Hmmm... Maybe the time-stamps on each page
would get screwd up...  Anyway, I think the idea is worth thinking
about, and even implementing.

Cheers and thanks for contributing!