web-hurd

Re: Started German website translation

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Started German website translation
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:55:23 +0100 (MET)

   >    A script (Perl?) run every now and than and/or when cahnges
   >    are made would be nice. You write HTML pages with your
   >    contents, the script extracts some data like timestamp and
   >    Title/keywords, generates a menu liek we have on the left
   >    side, and puts the body of the page in right place. Footer
   >    with correct timestamp added. That's it. Sounds simple.  But I
   >    can't do Perl, should learn it.
   >
   > Actually, this might be a bad idea, it just occured to me that
   > the Hebrew page is adjusted for people reading from left to
   > right.  Would be quite hard to make it adjustable like that.

   That's all no problem.

I guess your purposed solution solves it, but it seems quite complex.

What would one do about the "language" list (i.e. the list of
languages that refer to translated versions of the same page)?  They
differ between pages, and they should contain the translated name of
the language.  So one would have to build that list somehow; maybe one
could just map the language part of the file name to each language,
and have a small list (lang.list), and extract the information from
there.

Cheers.