web-hurd

Re: Started German website translation

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: Started German website translation
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:38:28 +0100

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

   A script (Perl?) run every now and than and/or when cahnges are
   made would be nice. You write HTML pages with your contents, the
   script extracts some data like timestamp and Title/keywords,
   generates a menu liek we have on the left side, and puts the body
   of the page in right place. Footer with correct timestamp
   added. That's it. Sounds simple.  But I can't do Perl, should learn
   it.

Actually, this might be a bad idea, it just occured to me that the
Hebrew page is adjusted for people reading from left to right.  Would
be quite hard to make it adjustable like that.

That's all no problem. You write documents that contain just the contents for every language, say index-single.en.html, index-single.he.html, index-single.de.html, news-single.{en,he,de}.html... The Table of Contents can be generated or manually crafted, say toc.{en,he,de}.html.
Right now we have a structure like this:
Table with
    header
toc | contents
table end
footer

We just have to compose header, toc, contents and footer in the right way. For Hebrew this means putting toc on the right side of the contents. But that's no problem. Moreover Hebrew needs text-direction right-to-left. This is currently done by HTML means (attribute dir in <table>). We could also provide a version with TOC without tables, or a single-page version or even frames.

I'm currently working on CSS-ing the index page and creating a style that looks like what we have now, probably I'll try a second style to switch.

Patrick
--
Engineers motto:  | Patrick Strasser
[ ] cheap         | <past at sbox dot tugraz dot at>