web-hurd

Re: Started German website translation

From: Ognyan Kulev
Subject: Re: Started German website translation
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:35:25 +0200

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
   And - although I guess this has been discussed before - did you
   ever consider a *simple* way of automatically including header and
   footer into each page, using a Makefile that does something like

Not really.  But I'll be that such a patch would be loved by us all.
I'm not totally familiar with CSS, but wouldn't this be possible if
that was used?  If not, a simple way to shove the header stuff into
the file, would be to add a magic string to each file, and then do a
simple search-and-replace.  Hmmm... Maybe the time-stamps on each page
would get screwd up...  Anyway, I think the idea is worth thinking
about, and even implementing.

What about the following: Pages are as they are now, but content is surrounded by some marks, like <!--content start--> and <!--content end-->. We have separate files for the header and footer, or some kind of template. A (Perl?) script regenerates _all_ HTML pages using this template (extract content and put in template). This script should also handle multi-language views of page. As an option, it may color the selected page in navigation bar, or something like that. The tricky part is that if result file is same as original (before processing), then the file should not overwritten. This is important so that only really changed files are committed.

Regards,
ogi