wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] poison resistance

From: Andreas Grosse
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] poison resistance
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 12:04:55 +0200

David White <address@hidden> [14:05:05 00:50] wrote:
> >     Jetryl has some time ago proposed adding poison resistance, a
> >feature he would especially like to have for new Naga units.  Although he
> >is not quite ready to animate them, I believe that it is time to
> >impliment this feature.
> >
> I'm really not so much in favor of poison resistance. I think it adds
> unnecessary complexity to what should be a simple ability.

I don't think that poison resistance is an idea which is hard to grasp,
considering the following guidelines:

- let's stick to two levels of resistance: "resistance" (which is always
  only 50% of the poison damage) and "immunity" (takes no damage from
  poison). This should be easy to understand, and it's easy to do the
  math. :)

- Poison resistance/immunity should be tied to certain races/units, not
  experience levels. I think it is fairly easy to grasp that e.g. a sea
  serpent or a skeleton could be resistant or immune to poison. What I
  don't get is why an Elvish Champion should be more resistant than an
  Elvish Fighter (and it would require more resistance nuances, adding
  even more complexity).

Overall I think that poison resistance would be a good thing, since it
completes the poison ability. And, last but not least, it could make a
race like the Naga more interesting for players without increasing their
fighting abilities.

Just my humble opinion on this subject :)
Cheers,
        majestyk