wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] poison resistance

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] poison resistance
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:02:23 -0500

Dave and I had this discussion, and our opinions afterward came out like this - forgive me if I am putting words in anyone's mouth:

A full-fledged resistance system such as has been described would be too complex.
-however-
A simple "immune to poison" flag is very desirable. The "non-living" flag should NOT be used as a hack to emulate this effect - it already has other effects attached to it, and scenario designers may use it for further things - for example, a magical trap could be scripted such that any "living" creature that stepped on it would trigger it, and the scenario could be structured around non-living units being able to pass this undetected.

There are probably a number of other uses for the non-living flag, and it should not be understood as a simple alias of "poison immunity," which is not currently a discrete effect that can be applied by itself. Right now, one of the other effects that non-living has is that non-living units cannot be healed by healing units. A white mage can heal a friendly necromancer, but he cannot heal a ghost.

Thus, if Darth fool could code in a discrete "immune to poison" flag, that would be both welcome, and very useful.

- Richard