wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] poison resistance

From: John McNabb
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] poison resistance
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:30:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Richard Kettering wrote:
> Dave and I had this discussion, and our opinions afterward came out
> like this - forgive me if I am putting words in anyone's mouth:
>
> A full-fledged resistance system such as has been described would be
> too complex.
> -however-
> A simple "immune to poison" flag is very desirable.  The "non-living"
> flag should NOT be used as a hack to emulate this effect - it already
> has other effects attached to it, and scenario designers may use it for
> further things - for example, a magical trap could be scripted such
> that any "living" creature that stepped on it would trigger it, and the
> scenario could be structured around non-living units being able to pass
> this undetected.
>
> There are probably a number of other uses for the non-living flag, and
> it should not be understood as a simple alias of "poison immunity,"
> which is not currently a discrete effect that can be applied by itself.
>   Right now, one of the other effects that non-living has is that
> non-living units cannot be healed by healing units.  A white mage can
> heal a friendly necromancer, but he cannot heal a ghost.
>
> Thus, if Darth fool could code in a discrete "immune to poison" flag,
> that would be both welcome, and very useful.
>
> - Richard

This should be pretty straight forward to code.  Two 'important' questions
that probably should be answered:
1) How to represent this so that it is obvious to the user?  As a status
icon (like poison, but with an x through it) or listed as an ability/trait?
2) what to call the 'immune to poison'?  preferably something short so as
not to take up too much space, especially if the answer to 1 is as an
ability/trait.

3) which reminds me of a third slightly off topic question.  It seems that
currently abilities can not be added via wml modification tags.  Is there
a plan to impliment this, or is there a reason why it should not be done?

John

        "In theory, theory and practice are the same,
                but in practice they're different."
John W. C. McNabb