wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Additions

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Additions
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 03:01:19 -0500

On May 27, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Richard Shimooka wrote:
Firstly I'd say it would be prudent that if any change is committed it should be discussed beforehand... not presented as fait accompli. These need to be discussed and argued over even before they are tested. This is especially true of changes that are as major as what you are suggesting. Also it would be nice if they were all revealed at once, rather than piecemeal. I'm not against a completely new balancing per say, however its fairly difficult to discern the effects of such a major change in a faction if its revealed one by one.

We did, and it is in the mailing list archives and the developer discussions forum. Try reading.

Also as I think that at this point there should be a less emphasis on "rebuilding the entire race" when really the drakes are fairly good as is, and don't need massive change. This is especially true given that people want to see a v 1.0 being put out in the near future, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water by making new major changes. Instead the focus should be on little changes that would enhance the already good base we have right now.

Our base right now is terrible, and needs major changes. Areas that are basically fine are [wood elves, loyalists]. Areas that are ok but need minor changes are [orcs, undead, mermen]. Areas that are terrible and messily half-finished are [dwarves, drakes, saurians, naga].

So? Just because it was intended to be something and it fit another role even better doesn't mean it should be changed, unless it was unbalancing. Right now it occupies a unique role within the faction,

And design goes out the window...

b] It removes the cliché "mage" unit from the saurians. +faction_differentiation

Cliche? Its game based in a Fantasy setting. I'd expect some magic being around. Moreover you use the argument that

Cliché, as in maybe the magic user doesn't have to throw around balls of damage, eh? There are many other ways of representing magic other than making them shoot fireballs and iceballs like they have some gun that shoots magic instead of bullets.

A side benefit of this is that the sky drake, which is currently of questionable use when compared with saurian skirmishers, will become a much more generally useful unit. Drake players will have a choice of attacking with a unit that can help to ensure a hit, or a unit that can do a lot of damage. Additionally, by having marksman, the drake flyer will still be vulnerable to retaliation during the opponents turn - marksman activates only on the offense, not during retaliation.

Secondly what is the rational of having marksmanship? Conceptually it doesn't make sense, and even less so on a gameplay basis.

Read the description. And I thought you said conceptual stuff didn't matter, anyways...

If you think this will make up for removing magical from the tribalist's attack, it won't. firstly, against elvish archers in a forest or a thunderer on a mountain the glider with 20% less defence against pierce and poorer defence will not be effective at all.

That's 10%, but whatever...
Maybe, like it's brethren the sky drake and hurricane drake, it should get the fly movetype as well.

This brings me to a third point. At this point the drakes already are a expensive race, and individuals have been griping about this. your changes will likely result in the flyer being upped in price... which is exactly not what is needed for an already expensive race.

I think that with the exception of some of the obvious problems I've already pointed out that these changes should not be applied. It makes little sense to make such major changes, ones which will have a detrimental effect on the already problematic balance in wesnoth.

First you want me to make changes in complete blocks, then you want me to do little "bite-sized" pieces one at a time.