wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Additions

From: Richard S .
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Additions
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:25:39 +0100

Firstly I'd say it would be prudent that if any change is committed it should be discussed beforehand... not presented as fait accompli. These need to be discussed and argued over even before they are tested. This is especially true of changes that are as major as what you are suggesting. Also it would be nice if they were all revealed at once, rather than piecemeal. I'm not against a completely new balancing per say, however its fairly difficult to discern the effects of such a major change in a faction if its revealed one by one.

We did, and it is in the mailing list archives and the developer discussions forum. Try reading.

First off, please cut the condescending attitude please, this is a developer's mailing list which calls for civility, and my email did not make any rude comments or questioned your intelligence or ability to read.

You may have mentioned it somewhere, but this has come as a complete shock to many people in the community. I do read, as do most of the people I talk to (including several devs) and they were unaware that these changes were in the works until your email. For the massive effects that they have on the game, they should not be made by you and should have a wide discussion across the board even before they are implemented. That most certainly did not happen in this case.

Also as I think that at this point there should be a less emphasis on "rebuilding the entire race" when really the drakes are fairly good as is, and don't need massive change. This is especially true given that people want to see a v 1.0 being put out in the near future, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water by making new major changes. Instead the focus should be on little changes that would enhance the already good base we have right now.

Our base right now is terrible, and needs major changes. Areas that are basically fine are [wood elves, loyalists]. Areas that are ok but need minor changes are [orcs, undead, mermen]. Areas that are terrible and messily half-finished are [dwarves, drakes, saurians, naga].

Is that the artistic side?Or unit/balance wise? Honestly I think balance-wise with the exception of about a dozen or so issues (several of which I discussed in the other email), the fundamental basis of units is good, and should not be touched. The factions are generally balanced overall and changing them at this point is far more trouble than it would ever be worth.

So? Just because it was intended to be something and it fit another role even better doesn't mean it should be changed, unless it was unbalancing. Right now it occupies a unique role within the faction,

And design goes out the window...

No it doesn't. Which do you think people are going to notice more; The esthetics of your change or its tactical effects? Few will really notice a small conceptual change between drain and magic much less judge the game poorly over it, however they will quickly notice factional unbalances which are glaringly apparent, which this change will most certainly achieve.

b] It removes the cliché "mage" unit from the saurians. +faction_differentiation

Cliche? Its game based in a Fantasy setting. I'd expect some magic being around. Moreover you use the argument that

Cliché, as in maybe the magic user doesn't have to throw around balls of damage, eh? There are many other ways of representing magic other than making them shoot fireballs and iceballs like they have some gun that shoots magic instead of bullets.

Isn't one of the key ideas of wesnoth that magic is represented in as simple fashion as possible? I quote from the wesnoth philosophy page: http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothPhilosophy

" So, from the beginning I decided that all spells would be implicit, or simply a type of attack."

When I look at a tribalist and imagine him in my mind using magic, I think of it as a different type of attack than other magic users. I think of it as some primeval sort of voodoo attack rather than the trained learned spell of a mage. Him being animated with a different type of magic attack further reinforces that. Sure making it drain instead of magical would make a bit of difference, but I really don't think its that needed in the first case, and is certainly outweighed by the major negative balance problems it will create.

A side benefit of this is that the sky drake, which is currently of questionable use when compared with saurian skirmishers, will become a much more generally useful unit. Drake players will have a choice of attacking with a unit that can help to ensure a hit, or a unit that can do a lot of damage. Additionally, by having marksman, the drake flyer will still be vulnerable to retaliation during the opponents turn - marksman activates only on the offense, not during retaliation.

Secondly what is the rational of having marksmanship? Conceptually it doesn't make sense, and even less so on a gameplay basis.

Read the description. And I thought you said conceptual stuff didn't matter, anyways...

No, conceptual stuff does matter, and I've argued this consistently through all my points. I said as much in this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5621&start=30 when discussing distinctiveness between factions. However a balance must be found between gameplay and esthetics, and gameplay should take precedence over it to some degree. I still do not think they are mutually exclusive categories, and that esthetics can be maintained while having stellar gameplay.

If you think this will make up for removing magical from the tribalist's attack, it won't. firstly, against elvish archers in a forest or a thunderer on a mountain the glider with 20% less defence against pierce and poorer defence will not be effective at all.

That's 10%, but whatever...
Maybe, like it's brethren the sky drake and hurricane drake, it should get the fly movetype as well.

No it is 20% difference. Tribalists get a 10% bonus vs pierce and the drake gets a -10% which equals a 20% difference between the two units of comparison. Furthermore as I said before, the glider was a good unit before all these changes, and was fairly balanced given its costs, its abilities, and when compared to its contemporaries. Any addition to its capabilities (and now you're advocating two, a change in movetype and marksmanship) will necessitate an increase of cost, which is exactly what the Drake faction does not need given that people are already complaining about all its units being too high in cost.

This brings me to a third point. At this point the drakes already are a expensive race, and individuals have been griping about this. your changes will likely result in the flyer being upped in price... which is exactly not what is needed for an already expensive race.

I think that with the exception of some of the obvious problems I've already pointed out that these changes should not be applied. It makes little sense to make such major changes, ones which will have a detrimental effect on the already problematic balance in wesnoth.

First you want me to make changes in complete blocks, then you want me to do little "bite-sized" pieces one at a time.

Actually, throughout this email and my posts I have consistently said that I'd rather not see massive changes done at all. However I am of an open mind to consider them, and if they must be done I'd rather see them proposed all at once rather than discuss them piecemeal, so that their effects can be seen. Furthermore I'd like to have the opportunity to have a discussion on these major changes, which in reality was what my first point was all about.