wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Drake Additions

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Additions
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 02:34:03 -0500

Now that I'm free for the summer, I've begun work on animating neo's level-3 drakes.

The burner line is the only line that is really "finished" right now, and many of the others could stand to have some minor rebalancing.

Those subscribed to the commit message mailing list will have already seen that I've added a level-3 flyer - moreover, I have added marksman to the flyer line. This would normally overpower the faction, but this is part of a larger change at work.

Sometime within the next week, I am going to completely remake the saurian tribalist line - graphics and all. A number of people, Sanna especially, have complained about factions being or becoming too similar, a sentiment which I agree with. The tribalist is having his magic attack replaced with a drain attack (along with the rest of his line). The level-2 branch is also being collapsed, since it had little utility. Hitpoints are being increased, slightly. The unit's stats were originally created NOT under the aegis of "every faction needs a unit with a magic attack," but rather under the more destructive "every faction needs a 'mage'." This is quite nearly the antithesis of faction differentiation.

Besides all of this, it has never seemed right to me that in a faction with _fire_breathing_dragons, a primary ranged offensive unit was something else. If nothing else, the tribalist should really be de-emphasized as a combat unit, and formed into what it was originally intended to be - a support unit. Almost all players right now hire the tribalist for his attack capability, not his healing.

By having a ranged drain attack, several things are accomplished:
a] It is a unique configuration which no other faction has. +faction_differentiation b] It removes the cliché "mage" unit from the saurians. +faction_differentiation c] It fits better with the "voodoo/witch doctor/serpentine/jungle" flavor of the unit's magic style +flavor d] It makes the unit less volatile - harder to kill with, harder to get killed +gameplay e] It makes the unit MUCH less common on the battlefield - fitting with the idea of magic being rare and powerful. +flavor

The unit will remain effective on the attack, when pitted against units with bad defense and cold weakness, such as heavy infantry and drakes.

A side benefit of this is that the sky drake, which is currently of questionable use when compared with saurian skirmishers, will become a much more generally useful unit. Drake players will have a choice of attacking with a unit that can help to ensure a hit, or a unit that can do a lot of damage. Additionally, by having marksman, the drake flyer will still be vulnerable to retaliation during the opponents turn - marksman activates only on the offense, not during retaliation.