wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Restructuring the image dirs?

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Restructuring the image dirs?
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:15:24 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:53:45AM -0500, Richard Kettering wrote:
> I share your sentiments.
[...]
> Anyways, it is well worth noting that CVS doesn't natively support
> moving a file.  We would have to delete each file and recreate it in
> the target location, which is exactly what was done in the initial
> restructuring.  Other version control systems like SVN do have this
> capability, however some of our developers have doubts about the
> stability of the other systems (I *really* wouldn't know).

I feel I'd have to say something here, I did not have my daily rant against
cvs yes (mostly because I was not at work today ;).

SVN really should make CVS part of the (glorious) past.  I've started to
push for this move at work, where win32 client support is needed, so SVN was
the obvious choice.

The observed stability of the SVN server has reflected what I've seen
reported in various places: when using the dbfs backend, one frequently has
to run "svnadmin recover" on the server.  OTOH, once switched to the fsfs
backend, the server is really stable.  In no case have I observed any
corruption, even when a wedged repository required "svadmin recover".  And
no recovery has been required since the switch to fsfs.

So basically, I'd vote for the migration (if anyone still had any doubts ;)

> Not to mention that it would be a major pile of work to change the system.

I'm not sure it would.  Although I have not yet seriously attempted to
convert wesnoth cvs history to svn, there are so many existing mechanisms to
do that, that I would think it would quite be simple, especially since we
did not use branches much.  The only thing I can think of that could cause a
problem is the practice of "finetuning the release tags", which cause cvsps
to report many "funky tags"; those could in theory be adequately viewed as
short-lived branches, but I don't know if any tool can handle that.

I have started to look at vcp recently (it is used by svk to convert a cvs
repository), but for now all I have been able to do is find bugs, and I
still have at least one to fix.  At least this one is in perl, so I should
be able to tune it for our needs.

Another tool I have looked at is tailor (another generic tool for
converting/bridging repositories).  It works quite nicely AFAICT, but does
not handle branches automatically, and I only tested conversion to darcs,
not to svn.

I have not yet looked at specific cvs to svn converters.

IIRC, someone (ettin ?  ott ?) had a try at converting the wesnoth history.
Did this show any promises ?

--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: