Re: [XBoard-devel] config.h problem

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] config.h problem
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:52:22 -0600

Tim Mann wrote:
Of course other people who download the sources won't necessarily know
they should do that.  In the short term (2) seems okay to help avoid
that pitfall, but if the person really is building xboard in the parent
directory too, (2) will break his xboard build until he regenerates
config.h.

Since you guys are at least relatively comfortable with 2) [having makefiles delete ..\config.h], I have another option, even more kludgy for MS compilers. With gcc, the -I- option allows me to explicitly set the INCLUDE order. No real kludgyness in this one.

For MS compilers, just compile everything in the winboard directory so that winboard/config.h is used, and nothing from the xboard directory is directly used. This requires copying the xboard source files we need into the winboard directory, compiling them, and removing them. Pretty sickening. I'm not sure what this will do to timestamps, probably it will force them all to be compiled each build.

I'm pretty sure the IDE can get the correct config.h included-- last time I checked this was a non-issue in the MSVC IDE. Maybe I should check those makefiles to see what they are doing differently.

Anyway, I've done this before, see this post for reference: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49748&p=189940#p189940