Re: [XBoard-devel] HtmlHelp() argument 4

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] HtmlHelp() argument 4
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 00:02:37 -0600

h.g. muller wrote:
At 20:19 11-7-2009 -0600, Eric Mullins wrote:
Aside from warnings, one reason for my patch was to allow this to compile in MSVC 6.x and 4.1.

OK, I overlooked something. I first made the HTML patch using the htmHelp.h and htmlHelp.lib provided by the Html Help Workshop. But when I found out that you only have to call a Hh.exe I thought it would be better to make the compile inot dependent on this, and provide my own code to do it. I did want to keep the originl data type for HtmlHelp(), though, becase in future versions of Windows HtmlHelp might be so standard that it gets defined in windows.h like WinHelp() apparently is now, and then we could simply switch back to it by deleting
my code for HtmlHelp.

The htmlhelp.h did contain the definition with DWORD_PTR, and since it did not raise any complaints from the compiler I assumed it was a standard Windows type, but what I overooked
was that it was redefined it earlier in the file:

// Defines for Win64
#ifndef _WIN64
#define DWORD_PTR DWORD
#endif

I submitted another patch to deal with this because I agree with Tim that because of 64 bit issues, the DWORD_PTR type ought to remain intact. Note: right now, only 0/NULL is used for this argument anyway.

I found that exact fragment online, but didn't want to copy Microsoft code. However, if you like that solution, replace the relevant part of my commit with that. The rest of the patch just moves it all into help.h so it can be reused easily-- and always making sure that DWORD_PTR is correctly set up first.