Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-version

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-version
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:49:51 +0200 (MEST)

Op Ma, 20 juli, 2009 7:28 pm schreef Arun Persaud:
> Hi
>

> I think both the startup menu and the save-setting stuff should be
> addressed in 5.0, since we will be reorganizing the user-interface a lot
> anyway.

I agree. A lot of work wil have to go into this. Before a
platform-independent XBoard can replace WinBoard a lot will have to be
backported to XBoard of what it currently lacks. The most obvious are:

* saving and automatic restoring of settings.
* start-up menu or improved alternative for it
* evaluation-graph window
* file-selector dialog (this might come automatically with gtk+)
* sticky windows
* engine logos
* editing and recalling of input lines
* bitmap textures for board squares

What I would like to add in order to make WinBoard more competative as ICS
client is a more user-friendly way to process seeks and chalenges. I was
thinking of using the board window as a seek graph (Elo vs TC) when not
involved in a game (or after a menu command).