Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-version

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk-version
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:04:10 -0700

Hi

> > I think both the startup menu and the save-setting stuff should be
> > addressed in 5.0, since we will be reorganizing the user-
> interface a lot
> > anyway.
>
> I agree. A lot of work wil have to go into this. Before a
> platform-independent XBoard can replace WinBoard a lot will have to be
> backported to XBoard of what it currently lacks. The most obvious are:
>
> * saving and automatic restoring of settings.

gconf might be the right thing to use here...

> * start-up menu or improved alternative for it

as mentioned before we should change things so that one can change the chess
program during runtime and then I don't think we would need a startup menu
anymore... you just start were you left it...

> * evaluation-graph window

sounds good

> * file-selector dialog (this might come automatically with gtk+)

yes

> * sticky windows
> * engine logos
> * editing and recalling of input lines

gnu-readline would be the one to use in case there isn't already something
build into gtk

> * bitmap textures for board squares

since we will be using gtk+ I really think we should move to SVG for all
graphics, resolution independent, smaller file size and supported by gtk+ :)

ARUN