Re: [Chicken-users] ideas

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ideas
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:07:22 +0200

> For now, I must admit I'm having a few problems, most of which better
> documentation might fix. I don't quite understand the foreign function
> interface, for example, which frustrates trying to play with things
> other people have done. Documentation would be a help. (I find
> frequently that the existing document often has what I want but that
> it is a bit hard to find things in it... What is used to build
> manual.html anyway?)

(With *these* hands! ;-)

Seriously, I wrote it by hand. That's no excuse, of course. Anybody
interested in converting it into a better format? (texinfo?)

I absolutely agree with you: the documentation is BAD. I'm just too
lazy,
as a matter of fact. But I will try to address this, I promise.
Would you have specific things regarding the FFI in mind? Or are you
talking about a more comprehensive introduction section?

I'm open for suggestions.

> I've also had some weird problems with building. chicken-config and
> csc come out in the bin directory as things that are neither
> executables nor anything else -- file(1) cryptically calls them
> "data". My own fault largely for not understanding more of how the
> build process works -- I'll have to go in and debug it. I don't know
> how many other people are hacking Chicken on NetBSD at the moment so I
> may be on my own there for now.

That's strange. What is the output of `configure; make' on your
machine? (Actually I have no confirmed builds on NetBSD so far,
so perhaps this is a new situation/platform to take care of).
I'm sure we can fix this.